Sunday, December 26, 2010
Thursday, December 16, 2010
Wednesday, December 15, 2010
The leading family communications game. Players progress along the playing board as they answer questions such as, “What are the four most important things in your life?” and “What do you think life would be like in 100 years?” this non-competitive game can be a great ice-breaker or a serious exchange of thoughts, feelings and ideas. Ages 5 to adult, and for 2 to 6 players.
Tuesday, December 14, 2010
Friday, December 10, 2010
Thursday, December 9, 2010
Friday, December 3, 2010
Saturday, November 20, 2010
SchoolCounselor.com eNew #122 Welcome to SchoolCounselor.com, an electronic newsletter designed to advance counselors' level of technological literacy, application, and integration. You will find practical solutions and answers to technology related problems, especially as they apply to your job as counselor. If you would like to share a tip or trick, or if you would like to ask a question, e-mail Russ Sabella at email@example.com.
| Did Captain Jack Sparrow use the words macabre, belligerent, and superfluous in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies? The answer is "Yes!" So, see if your students can Name That Movie! as you test their movie trivia knowledge and help them learn more than 1,000 SAT, ACT, and GED vocabulary words taken from Step Brothers, Iron Man, Mean Girls, The Notebook, Pride & Prejudice, Miss Congeniality, Shrek, and more! |
Visit http://www.brianleaf.com/ to learn more.
- – Stand Up to Cyberbullying - OnGuard Online
- – It Gets Better" (Broadway sings for the Trevor Project)
- – President Obama: It Gets Better
- – Damn It, My Mom Is On Facebook Filter (funny)
- – It Gets Better: Google Employees
- – Atom Wave Solution Focus
- – Valley school counselor convinces faculty to take on bullying
- – The Formulation of Achievable Goals
- – GSCA 2010-2011
- – Sit, Pray, Eat (funny)
- – Adaptation of the Solution-focused Scaling Question
- – Mozilla Seabird 2D: The Future of Phones?
- – Seeing Red Cars with Laura Goodrich
- – Continuous Chest Compression CPR—University of Arizona Sarver Heart Center
- – Solution Focused Parent-Teacher Conferences
- – Umeric 'Until Now' 2010 (amazing video CGI)
Postings from Russ Sabella ...
– Keeping Kids Out of High Tech Trouble. This blog supports Dr. Russell Sabella's work on educating children, parents, educators and other stake holders about the responsible use of technology. Included in these pages you will find helpful resources, lesson plans, links, and more. Russ's most recent book and workshops are primary resources for meeting this mission.
– SchoolCounselor.com eNewsletter. The SchoolCounselor.com e-Newsletter is an electronic publication designed to advance counselors' level of technological literacy, application, and integration. You will find practical solutions and answers to technology related problems, especially as they apply to your job as counselor.
– Must See Videos. When I see a video that would be useful, inspiring, enlightening among counselors, I post it here.
– Twitter. Postings about all thinks counseling, life, humor, and more.
The Importance of Making Appointments
Full magazine is online at http://bit.ly/93K79X
Alternate address for the column:
TIPS AND TRICKSDownloadTube is another free web service which allows you to specify the YouTube video and then convert and download it to different formats online. All you need is to specify the YouTube video URL and the format to download the video.
PC Security Checklists
A series of free 15-point checklists to help you ensure that your computers and files stay safe from viruses, hackers, phishers, trojans, and all other threats.
Microsoft Word 2007 Keyboard Shortcuts
If you are lilke me, you can work faster by keeping your hands on the keyboard instead of going to the mouse. Here are some common keyboard shortcuts for Microsoft Word. You’ll probably find that the more you use them, the easier you will remember them.
If the desired function involves a section of text (words you have typed) you will need to highlight the text before typing the command. For instance, to BOLD a word or words you must highlight them first.
Bold: CTRL + B
Center a paragraph: CTRL + E
Copy: CTRL + C
Create a hanging indent: CTRL + T
Decrease the font size by 1 point: CTRL + [
Double-space lines: CTRL + 2
Hanging Indent: CTRL + T
Increase the font size by 1 point: CTRL + ]
Indent a paragraph from the left: CTRL + M
Indent: CTRL + M
Insert a footnote: ALT + CTRL + F
Insert an endnote: ALT + CTRL + D
Italic: CTRL + I
Justify a paragraph: CTRL + J
Left-align a paragraph: CTRL + L
Mark a table of contents entry: ALT + SHIFT + O
Mark an index entry: ALT + SHIFT + X
Page Break: CTRL + ENTER
Print: CTRL + P
Remove a paragraph indent from the left: CTRL + SHIFT + M
Remove paragraph formatting: CTRL + Q
Right-align a paragraph: CTRL + R
Save: CTRL + S
Select All: CTRL + A
Shrink Font One Point: CTRL + [
Single-space lines: CTRL + 1
To type a Subscript: CTRL + =
To type a Superscript: CTRL + SHIFT + =
Thesaurus: SHIFT + F7
Remove Hanging Indent: CTRL + SHIFT + T
Remove Indent: CTRL + SHIFT + M
Underline: CTRL + U
Undo: CTRL + Z
Word 2007 Demo: Build a document with building blocks (video)
Fear the blank page no longer. With the new building blocks feature in Word 2007, you can create sharp-looking business documents more easily than ever. You assemble your document from galleries of pre-designed parts, add your business information, and save the building blocks to use again.
Prevent People from Forwarding or Replying All in Outlook
If you frequently send out mass email news letters and keep getting users replying to all recipients or need to disable the ability to forward an email, Microsoft Exchange and Outlook have you covered. Exchange and Outlook enable their own special flags that can disable this functionality and it can be extremely helpful if you need more control over your sent emails.
AT&T Natural Voices Wizzard Software is pleased to offer Version 4.2 of AT&T Natural Voices Text to Speech (TTS) for Windows and Linux, an award winning text to speech technology developed by AT&T Laboratories. Natural Voices is believed by many to be the most natural sounding TTS available, the "highly scalable" multi-threaded technology can automate and add tremendous interactive and humanistic value to a wide variety of applications and projects.
Also see http://www2.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php
21 Videos on the Solution-Focused Approach
The (Very) Unofficial Facebook Privacy Guide [DOWNLOAD]
Like Facebook, but wish your information wasn’t so public? Time to lock your settings down. Facebook doesn’t make this easy, however; features are constantly added and the default for each new one seems to favor transparency instead of privacy. The result: there are hundreds of little changes you need to make to truly control where your information goes. Enter "The (Very) Unofficial Facebook Privacy Manual". This handy guide outlines everything you could ever want to know about locking down your privacy on Facebook, and a few things you probably didn’t even know you wanted to know.
Demo Slam is a new site that showcases Google technology in new, creative ways to help more people understand the free tools available to them. You can watch new slams each week, vote for your favorites and create your own slam. It's a place where tech demos become more exciting and engaging, thanks to the creativity of Google users.
Sample Anti-Bullying Report Form
Beautiful ... Inspiring .. Motivational ... Touching
Counseling Posters for your Office and Home
Blio is a FREE eReading application that presents eBooks just like the printed version, in full color, and with all of the features you’d want from an eReader.
Google Chrome Extensions at School: Get more done!
Whether you’re writing a term paper for your classic Greek literature class or collaborating with your lab group over IM, Google Chrome extensions can also help you keep track of all the important things you have to do during the day.
What’s new in Google Docs
If you’re new to Google Docs or don’t use it very often, the new Google Docs YouTube channel is a good place to start. These videos give a high level overview and steps to get started. And since each video is focused on one feature, its easy to only learn about the ones that matter most to you.
Rohos Mini Drive. Free edition.
Creates hidden and encrypted partition on the USB flash drive memory. If you have many private files on the USB drive and want to keep them in secret, you can protect them by a password and strong encryption with Rohos Mini Drive.
Studies show e-mail messages are interpreted incorrectly 50% of the time.* ToneCheck™ is an e-mail plug-in that flags sentences with words or phrases that may convey unintended emotion or tone, then helps you re-write them. Just like Spell Check… but for Tone.
Microsoft Expression Encoder
Are you looking for a screencasting tool for Windows that doesn’t cost a dime but can still help you create high-quality screencast videos? Read on.
Download link: http://www.microsoft.com/expression/products/Encoder4_Overview.aspx
Convert web page to RSS feed
Page2RSS is a service that helps you monitor web sites that do not publish feeds. It will check any web page for updates and deliver them to your favorite RSS reader.
The Things You Would Have Said
Whether the person has passed away, contact was lost, or the strength needed at the time was lacking, this is a chance to say what you have always wanted them to know.
Balabolka is a Text-To-Speech (TTS) program. All computer voices installed on your system are available to Balabolka. The on-screen text can be saved as a WAV, MP3, MP4, OGG or WMA file. The program can read the clipboard content, view the text from DOC, EPUB, FB2, HTML, ODT, PDF and RTF files, customize font and background colour, control reading from the system tray or by the global hotkeys. Balabolka uses various versions of Microsoft Speech API (SAPI); it allows to alter a voice's parameters, including rate and pitch. The user can apply a special substitution list to improve the quality of the voice's articulation. This feature is useful when you want to change the spelling of words. The rules for the pronunciation correction use the syntax of regular expressions.
SuperF4 kills the foreground program when you press Ctrl+Alt+F4. This is different from when you press Alt+F4, which only asks the foreground program to exit, allowing it to decide for itself what to do.
Dimensions takes important places, events and things, and overlays them onto a map of where you are.
AndreaMosaic is a free project to create digital art using images and computer software. With AndreaMosaic you can create your own photographic mosaics made with your own pictures. A photo mosaic is an image composed of many tiled photos.
PhotoWipe is a revolutionary image processing tool that magically removes unwanted objects from your photos. Just paint over them in black, and click go! Uncovers hidden details in your photos. Sit back and watch as cage bars disappear from the zoo, and your old hearthrob fades away. It removes wrinkles, or it can remove entire facial features.
Boogle. Google with a nugget of inspirational wisdom.
SchoolCounselor.com does not knowingly send unsolicited e-mail. This Newsletter is for subscribers only. If you received it and did not subscribe, please let us know using the link on our home page. We will remove your name immediately.
TO SUBSCRIBE to this newsletter, simply go to the signup page at www.SchoolCounselor.com/newsletter and enter your e-mail address. You will receive an e-mail asking you to confirm your subscription. We will add your e-mail address to the list when you reply to the confirmation e-mail.
TO UNSUBSCRIBE from this newsletter, simply visit go to the signup page at http://www.schoolcounselor.com/unsub.htm and click the unsubscribe button after entering your e-mail address. Important: You will then be asked to click on a link called "click here" to complete the process.
TO CHANGE YOUR E-MAIL ADDRESS: If your old address will become inactive, PLEASE
UNSUBSCRIBE with your old address and SUBSCRIBE with your new one.
IF ALL ELSE FAILS send a note. Please allow a week or two for changes to take effect.
Want to advertise in this newsletter? Visit http://www.schoolcounselor.com/advertising.htm
The SchoolCounselor.com newsletter may contain links to sites on the Internet owned and operated by third parties. SchoolCounselor.com is not responsible for the availability of, or the content located on or through, any such third-party site. Information in this document is provided "as is," without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and freedom from infringement. The user assumes the entire risk as to the accuracy and the use of this document. SchoolCounselor.com will not be liable for any damages of any kind arising from the use of this information, including, but not limited to direct, indirect, incidental, punitive, and consequential damages.
Sabella & Associates, LLC, 4922 SW 26th PL, Cape Coral, FL 33914
Saturday, November 6, 2010
I would like to pass on a statement from Sylinda:
Currently, I am an Associate Professor in the counselor education program at Norfolk State University in Norfolk, VA.. I have worked as a high school counselor in both urban and rural public school divisions, as well as a high school director for an alternative high school. Before becoming a counselor educator, I served as the school counseling specialist at the Virginia Department of Education. My work includes being co-author of “The Virginia Professional School Counseling Manual” and “Choice Theory: Using Choice Theory and Reality therapy to Enhance Student Achievement and Responsibility.” I am also former president of the Virginia School Counselor Association and currently ASCA's Southern Regional Vice President.
It would be my privilege to lead this association to ensure that we equip school counselors with the resources needed to overcome the challenges ahead of us. We must partner together to do what is best for our profession, for school counselors, and for our students. It is my goal that all students throughout our country participate in a comprehensive data driven school counseling program. And, I endeavor to help counselors build programs that ensure equity and access for all students.
To cast your vote, please go to https://eballot.votenet.com/asca/login.cfm. You will need your ASCA username and password. If the above link does not work, than go to the ASCA home page http://www.schoolcounselor.org and look under ASCA Happening to cast your vote. Elections will be open until November 12, 2010.
Thank you for your participation and support.
Sylinda Gilchrist Banks
Friday, November 5, 2010
Wednesday, November 3, 2010
Sunday, October 31, 2010
The U.S. midterm elections are on November 2, and we’re providing a few tools that make it easier to gather voting information. If you search on Google for [polling place] or [where to vote], you’ll see a search box to help you find your polling place, candidates and local election office. Just type in the home address where you’re registered to vote. We’ve also introduced a mobile version of this same information and special elections sections in Google News.
Saturday, October 30, 2010
YouTube Leanback (Free) - Searching for videos on YouTube can get tedious. You don't always know what to search for. Even when you do, you might not find anything worthwhile. After all, there is plenty of inane content on the site.
Do you wish you could channel surf through YouTube like a TV? Then Leanback is the answer. It automatically finds videos it thinks will interest you. You can go back and forth between videos or choose new categories. Just use the arrow keys on your keyboard.
Note: YouTube screens the videos that appear in Leanback for offensive content. However, you may encounter colorful language from time to time.
Wednesday, October 27, 2010
Wednesday, October 20, 2010
Monday, October 18, 2010
Sunday, October 17, 2010
Thursday, October 7, 2010
Understanding Teen Dating Violence Prevention is a 60-minute, web-based
training designed to help educators, youth-serving organizations, and others
working with teens understand the risk factors and warning signs associated
with teen dating violence. It is developed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in
partnership with Liz Claiborne Inc.
Masters In Counseling > Earn Your Master Degree in Counseling O50 Best Blogs for Practicing Positive Psychology
Friday, October 1, 2010
Monday, September 27, 2010
SchoolCounselor.com eNewsletter #121
Highlights from SchoolCounselor.com
Postings from Russ Sabella ...
- Keeping Kids Out of High Tech Trouble. This blog supports Dr. Russell Sabella's work on educating children, parents, educators and other stake holders about the responsible use of technology. Included in these pages you will find helpful resources, lesson plans, links, and more. Russ's most recent book and workshops are primary resources for meeting this mission.
- SchoolCounselor.com eNewsletter. The SchoolCounselor.com e-Newsletter is an electronic publication designed to advance counselors' level of technological literacy, application, and integration. You will find practical solutions and answers to technology related problems, especially as they apply to your job as counselor.
- Must See Videos. When I see a video that would be useful, inspiring, enlightening among counselors, I post it here.
- Twitter. Postings about all thinks counseling, life, humor, and more.
Beautiful ... Inspiring .. Motivational ... Touching
Counseling Posters for your Office and Home
- •Kindle Blogs are auto-delivered wirelessly to your Kindle and updated throughout the day so you can stay current.
- •It's risk free--all Kindle Blog subscriptions start with a 14-day free trial. You can cancel at any time during the free trial period. If you enjoy your subscription, do nothing and it will automatically continue at the regular monthly price.
- •Clip an save parts of the newsletter on your Kindle or computer.
- •The Kindle is portable, your newsletters will stay with you everywhere you go.
- •You can search across all newsletters right from the device.
- •When you get tired of reading the newsletter, switch over to a book, newspaper, or other content in a few seconds.
TIPS AND TRICKS
WORTHY WEBSITES AND SOFTWARE
JUST FOR FUN
- ► 2015 (12)
- ► 2014 (24)
- ► 2013 (27)
- ► 2012 (39)
- ► 2011 (75)
- Top 100 Counseling Posters
- Counseling Posters
- Happy Holidays!
- AllPosters.com - The World's Largest Poster and Pr...
- Microsoft Word Addin Tabs - Office-Addin.com
- Amazon.com: The Ungame: Toys & Games
- Television and Video Game Use Among some children
- My handouts about the use of Data in School Counse...
- Amazon.com: Thinking and Acting Like a Solution-Fo...
- Amazon.com: Goodnight Tweetheart eBook: Teresa Med...
- Amazon.com: Mary Had a Little Jam eBook: Bruce Lan...
- Defining Twilight, Brian Leaf - Defining Twilight
- DVR Alert: A Walk in my Shoes - Official Movie Tra...
- ► November (5)
- Official Google Blog: Handy tools to help American...
- YouTube - Leanback
- I'm starting to have Kindle Remorse ...
- Wizzard Software I Speech Technology Services I AT...
- SchoolCounselor.com eNewsletter: Ellen and Anderso...
- Ellen and Anderson talk cyberbullying
- Top100 Tools for Learning 2010
- Convert PDF to Word, Excel, Text, Image with PDF T...
- Dating Matters
- Masters In Counseling > Earn Your Master Degree in...
- Amazon.com: Have You Filled a Bucket Today? (97819...
- ▼ December (14)
- ► 2009 (55)